KS4 DT - Food & Preparation
Food Preparation and Nutrition GCSE is an exciting and creative course which focuses on practical cooking skills. Our students will develop an understanding of nutrition, food provenance and the working characteristics of food materials. Students will also learn about British and international culinary traditions, food security and food safety. At the heart of the qualification is a focus on developing practical cookery skills and a strong understanding of nutrition.
One of our Year 11s delicious coursework meals!
How is this course examined?
- 1 x 1 hour 45 minute written exam (50%)
- 1 x Food Investigation coursework (15%). Students will write a report on their understanding of the scientific principles that underpin the preparation and cooking of food.
- 1 x Food Preparation coursework (35%). Students will plan, prepare, cook and present a three course menu within 3 hours. A portfolio is produced that will include clear and detailed time plans to explain how they carried out their preparation, cooking and presentation of their three final dishes; evaluation of cost; evaluation of sensory properties and nutritional characteristics of each dish.
How is the course structured?
|Year 10||Year 11|
Terms 1 and 2: Food, Nutrition and Health
Terms 2 and 3: Nutritional Needs and Food Safety
Terms 3 and 4: Food Safety and Food Science
Term 5: Food Science and Food Choice
Term 6: Food Choice and Food Provenance
Term 1: Food investigation coursework
Terms 2 and 3: Food preparation coursework
Terms 4 and 5: Revision
Why is the course sequenced this way?
Year 10 focuses on the examined content of the course. Through the year we build the students knowledge and understanding of the core elements of food preparation and nutrition. This all explicitly builds on their knowledge and skills from KS3. Throughout this the students will have practical opportunities to test out what they are learning in the kitchen.
Year 11 is then focused on coursework completion where students can apply the knowledge and skills learned from Year 10. Once coursework is finished we return to revise the examined content ready for the summer exam.
How is the course assessed?
- Verbal and written feedback given on practicals
- Practice exam questions will be marked and common misconceptions gone through in class
- Mock exams through the course